Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Two in One: Connecticut & Rhode Island

The states are small out here!

Even though I went to sleep past three last night I managed to wake up before my alarm at 7:30 (I had set it for 8, knowing how far I wanted to get). I'm a little surprised at this. I am very worn out... As I think back, I can't even remember what my hotel room looked like. I think it was one king bed... but I'm not sure. I digress.

So I was out the door earlier than I had been planning on. I took a couple yogurts from the free continental breakfast and mixed some granola with them that I had brought along from home. My first stop in Connecticut was sorta silly. And I feel a little bad since I missed Madison & 52nd yesterday. :) It's a little park jutting out into Long Island Sound... Sherwood Island. It's a lovely sandy beach park. There were lots of geese waddling around, and I even waited for a couple of them to nervously cross the road. Usually there's an entrance fee ($15) but I asked kindly if I could just drive around and the Park Ranger said "sure" and waved me on. It made it feel special that I was there semi-illegally. LOL

I stopped to look at the beach and eat my yogurt, not even getting out of the car. So soon I was back on the "highlighted route" which led me to another pit stop: Fort Hale near New Haven. Unfortunately, all I found was Fort Hale State Park which only had baseball fields and a kiddie-park. There was a nice walking path through some trees and an open field. So I did do that and I did enjoy the birds and the calmness, compared to yesterday's madness.

After this I drove another hour to Groton, CT, which had the Submarine Force Museum and the USS Nautilus (the world's first nuclear sub) adjacent to the Navy base there. It's an official US Navy museum, so admittance was free. It was very simply laid out and easy to enjoy without spending too much time. There were a couple of Ensigns wandering around with a check-off sheet. They spoke of some assignment while they were talking with other Navy personnel. I really enjoyed the ship. They had manikins dressed up and at various stations so it didn't feel so static... it was easier to think about how it would feel to do it yourself. In the bookstore I saw an Ensign with a current US Navy Ship ID & fact card. I immediately got one for myself and one for my recruiting station. :)

Just a few minutes from Groton is Mystic, CT. Here is a maritime museum geared toward kids. Most of the stuff I skipped over, for that reason, and because I had a deadline. But they also have interesting displays for grown-ups too. A lot to do with shipbuilding. They even have a working shipyard, since they are restoring their crown jewel, the 1800's whaler Charles W. Morgan. Their website looks deceiving, since as it is the Morgan is stripped down, on land, without masts and getting lots of work. This was the main reason I wanted to go and it was still very cool to see and to walk on, but I wish they would have been a little more clear about what it looks like. I saw a few other ships while walking the waterfront and I had a lovely veggie humus wrap and potato chips from their "galley". A good time was had on the whole. I purchased a book about "Naval Miscellany"... lots of traditions and history and reasons for why some things are the way they are. And they had a patch, of course. I left at 1:30, making the rest of my plans seem to fit right into place.

From here I crossed the border into Rhode Island. The landscape was suddenly strikingly beautiful. There were thick forests on both sides of the wide, sloping highway with a bunch of clouds in formation overhead. I loved it. And soon I was directed off the main freeway onto little highways to get to Newport. I was stuck behind a truck and trailer for a while, but he soon turned off onto Purgatory Rd. LOL! I hope it wasn't too hard on him.

I was excited when I went over the first bridge into Jamestown (a small island), but when I realized I still had to go over the big looming bridge in the distance I got excited. This is the bridge on the State Quarter! Holy cow! much more exciting than any of the other huge spans I've been on so far. This took me to the Naval War College of Newport. There was an office all visitors had to check in at for a pass. Without my DEP card (delayed entry program), the lady wouldn't have given me one. Apparently they don't let non-DOD people on base. The museum was excellent! There's been a lot of history there, and they clearly went through all the phases: a torpedo testing and development center, a naval training center and the current war college. Very interesting.

My next stop was Fort Adams on the other side of Newport. The last tour was supposed to start at 4pm... and it was a half-hour til. I thought I was fine until I got to my car: some lecture must have just gotten out, because the street all the way down the hill, through the gate and to the highway was jam-packed with cars. I needn't have worried though; I made it to the fort with five minutes to spare. Except, they were closing early today because it had started to sprinkle. Grr. So I was not able to tour inside, but only peek through the iron gates. As the weather cleared (grr), I walked around outside by the water and had a good time in spite of it all. The massive walls give plenty of opportunity for good pics. While I was walking up to the other gate on the point of the park a massive explosion nearly knocked me off my feet. Laughter and cursing ensued from inside. Some folks were probably testing a blank cannon shot and had laid too large a charge. So except for the intermittent cannon fire, the place was as quiet as a church yard. I explored the beach a bit and put my hands in the Atlantic.

I would have gone out to eat then and there, but I was so close to Brenton Point (a suggestion from Linda - thank you!) that I just pressed on. I explored that beach as well after resting in my car and enjoying the view. Most folks must have been turned off by the gray sky and the misty rain, but to me, it was home. I loved it. And after climbing down to the rocks I took lots of pictures of matted seaweed and the flaky rocks and the tide pool. It was so lovely, even though I needed my water-proof coat.










I decided to check into my hotel next. It was a cheaper place right outside the city limit. As soon as I got everything inside I decided to walk up the street to IHOP for dinner; it was only 0.3 miles by my GPS. By this time it was about 6 o'clock and I was ready for a cheeseburger! So with a house salad instead of fries I enjoyed a thick, juicy burger with Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo and ketchup. Oh! it was good! :) I had to walk in a little rain on my way back, but I didn't mind in the slightest. Upon getting back at 7, I changed into pajama pants and took an hour nap! I hadn't the will or the strength to write that super long story about NYC without a break. And my, did that feel good as well.

But I didn't go to sleep after that... it was Wednesday, so I called Mike for our regular chat. And that was very nice. And then I realized I still had to call home... good thing it was three hours earlier for them! :0

This has been a good start to recovering from yesterday.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, you went on the rocks! My favorite place ever. I guess the kite guy wasn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope... no kite guy. It was kinda cold out. But I liked having so much room to myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always like Newport better when it's not crowded. We went there one Christmas Eve and watched the sun set...oh, how cold it was! The seagulls wouldn't go in the water; that's cold! And then we drove home through Middletown and Portsmouth and all the old houses had white Christmas candles sparkling in the windows...

    Summer trips to the seashore are wayyyyy overrated. :-)

    ReplyDelete