Sunday, June 6, 2010

Oh Say, Can You See Maryland!

I did start off from New Jersey today though. After realizing that we needed to get up early-ish, Emma and I had to quit a lovely chat at an early (lol) 2 am! We woke up between 7:30-8 am. I don't remember a thing from my sleep; her couch was very comfortable. And when we got up, Emma graciously prepared us both the fluffiest, tastiest whole-wheat pancakes I've ever had and then slathered them with *real* maple syrup! And a piping hot mug of green tea was the perfect accompaniment. Emma saw me off at exactly 9:00. It was a lovely visit!

After traffic like yesterday's, I had no idea what to expect on my way to Baltimore. But I need not have given it a second thought. I-95 was wide open most of the way, and the only time it wasn't was when people were tail-gating each other because some poor guy up front was *only* going five miles over the speed limit. LOL! It was a breeze! Wow, the bridge going into Delaware was took my breath away! So high! I couldn't stop saying "wow". And this picture does not give it nearly enough justice:

When I saw Fort McHenry in 2005, they didn't have the large flag up because they were painting the flagpole, and I was sorely disappointed. I settled for buying the postcard. So today I visited again with high hopes. I was very confused at the exit however. The sign said go right, the GPS said go left... and so I went right. But it's a good thing I had the GPS, because as I remembered, there were no more signs telling you where to turn. Last time we drove around and around until we accidentally stumbled on the Fort. After the turn, it was only a few short turns and I was there. *Unfortunately*, there were storms predicted for today, (and rather sadly, a park employee had been recently killed) so I arrived and found the *small* flag at half-mast. The small flag isn't even a quarter the size of the real thing. Maybe I should call ahead next time. :) The fort is great to visit, but the point that makes this a "historic shrine" is the banner. Drat! I did buy a t-shirt though, and a 15 star and 15 strip lapel flag pin. You can't find those at the drug store!


I wanted to spend as much time with Rodney as I could, so I passed on getting a ticket and going inside, even though I could hear a fife and drum corps playing. The drive to his house from there only took a half-hour, and again, it was free sailing. I got there right at noon!

I pulled my car into his garage and we immediately took off for Annapolis and the museum at the Naval Academy. GPS directions are funny things when someone is familiar with the territory :) A little too helpful, maybe. But we arrived at the Academy just fine. I loved having the time in the car just to talk and enjoy the conversation. I've chatted with Rodney for nearly two years now (June 14th) and I haven't seen him since then!

We had to park outside the Academy grounds, but there was a slot open for parallel parking rather near. We walked down the main thoroughfare, Maryland Ave., and didn't see the sign for the museum until we passed it. Goodness, I loved it! They suggested starting on the second floor where they had a short movie about the Academy, it's history and the museum's. Then the rest of the "deck" was full of large models of ships, mostly from France and England. These were built along with the original ship they modeled in order to show buyers where the work was at. And they also had a large collection of model ships made by prisoners during the Napoleonic Wars out of bones they had leftover from their meals. Incredible detail!

Back on the first floor, it was a walk through US Naval history, artifact by artifact, supplemented with a few words and pictures. They had really neat stuff, like a pieces of the CSS Virgina (former USS Merrimack), Admiral Dewey's coat and cover (that was really neat, since I toured his flagship yesterday), and the first US flag to ever reach Japan with Com. Matthew Perry in 1853 that was also flown on the USS Missouri in 1945. Oh, and speaking of flags, they have Oliver Hazard Perry's original 1813 "Don't Give Up The Ship" flag, immortalizing Captain Lawrence's dying words. I just read about that action as I was flying into New York City. They had innumerable swords and photos and whatever else, including the actual helm of one vessel. It was a lot to take in all at once.

After spending a little over two hours there, we navigated our way back out of the tiny, red-brick streets to the freeway. We talked a lot about the military and our various experiences with it on the way to the Olive Garden for a fabulous lunch/dinner (at 4pm!). We shared a "Tour of Italy"... chicken, lasagna and fettuccine... mmm! I haven't had pasta for a while, and this was very good.


Back at Rodney's place, he gave me the grand tour. And then we watched the bit of JBL in "Big Bird Gets Lost" that Meg had found for me at Half-Price. I had thought to bring it because Rodney shared with me two episodes of the short-lived TV show "Hometown", which were rather good. JBL had a very large part, especially in the second episode, and he was as animated and wonderful as ever, even though his character was rather different to what I'm used to seeing him do. But is that surprising to anyone? Of course not. :)

Oh, and after another very good conversation, we went upstairs to check on my weight (it was heavy on my mind) and I found out that I'm at the very place I need to be! I think all that running and walking and stopping and going in the Philly heat and traffic did wonders! I'm looking forward to losing some more! :)

This was much too short of a visit! I shall return... sometime! :)

Tonight I'm staying with friends a little closer to DC in Marlboro, MD. And they have been very welcoming. But now I think it is time for me to sleep.

Jp

1 comment:

  1. Thank a lot. You have done excellent job. I enjoyed your blog . Nice efforts deca for weight loss

    ReplyDelete