Monday, June 14, 2010

A Revolutionary Day

model of the American lines at Saratoga

After Saratoga and Panera Bread, I went east to find General Washington's headquarters during the last years, 1782 and 1783. He stayed there in New Windsor for nearly a year while the Treaty of Paris was being worked on. His army was just down the Hudson from him a bit. I couldn't tour the house because it's closed on Mondays, but just walking around the grounds was fun enough! And I had to press on. With my late start and my enjoying Saratoga so much, I missed seeing the museum at West Point. At least the visitor's center was still open, and they had some displays about cadet life and a little history about the academy. And I even got a patch! :)

Just south of West Point is the ruins of Fort Montgomery, another 1777 battle site. The Americans lost this one, but did escape with most of their force. The visitor center for this was closed, but the fun of this was in walking the grounds. They had lots of interesting signs and it was just like taking a walk in the woods. I saw a deer and a lizard along with an assortment of birds (including a cardinal) and lots of squirrels. And just down the road from here was Stony Point Battlefield, but even the grounds were closed there. Ah well.

It wasn't much longer before I arrived at my final hotel, here in Suffern, NY (about 30 mi north of NYC). I checked in first, dragged all my luggage in various bags to my room and then went and enjoyed "Friendly's" one more time (it's a neighbor to the hotel). I had another garden salad (this time with light peppercorn ranch) and a delicious bowl of clam chowder (which is what I went in there craving). By 8:20 I had waited long enough back in the room and went downstairs to the fitness center. I did a mile and a half in 14:50, 75 sit-ups and a few push-ups. :) Gosh, it felt good to run around and get tired after a day of sitting in the car. I then took a very relaxing shower and got my bags ready for the airline tomorrow. After I felt satisfied with the state of my luggage I talked with Meg and Mom for about 25 minutes. A full evening! But I'm feeling more relaxed and ready to go home and not quite as tired as I have for a while now.

What a perfect way to end the tour, with the culminating battle in the north and with Washington's Headquarters at the very end. I didn't plan it to be so perfect... it just happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment