Monday, June 14, 2010

More Than Mid-Way

Hello from Panera Bread in New Windsor, NY!

I just got off I-87 South after going over 80 miles from Saratoga. Although I didn't really do anything in Saratoga Springs this morning, I really enjoyed the hotel. It was a one-layer motel laid out like horse stables. Because this town is famous for its racetrack. As I was leaving, the GPS took me right past the track... and I saw a few horses working out, and a horse being given a bath and there were crosswalk guards for a horse that was being lead across the street. And a "Thoroughbred Crossing" sign! :) On the way to the battlefield I drove by Lake Saratoga and through lots of country with farms and pastures and fields of corn. It was so pretty!

The battlefield was wonderful to visit! There's a visitor's center (with a *great* film about the battle) in one corner of the park (behind the British lines) and a one-way road that winds its way across the battlefield with 10 points that you can stop at, get out and walk and view the sites and monuments. There's a cannon that was captured at the battle by Benedict Arnold with a blank inscription, due to his treason. And at stop #7 there is an untitled monument to him: a stone boot, since he was wounded there in his leg while rallying the field for a great American victory.

Ironically, my trip today will take me to West Point, which was the crux of his treason.

Have I mentioned before that I love Panera? Yum! Sierra Turkey sandwich, apple and free Internet!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment